Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The clip's the thing

To drive us crazy, quotes we have on this one metal part have run into the $2.50 range without tooling.  The advantage of the clip is that it makes the entire assembly shorter. A clipless design has been prototyped by Tobias and Orianna has tried one, but there needs to be a concerted effort to make that idea work. 

I'm inclined to just pay it for now and pass the price along until we can get a cheaper supply.

Now you know why we call for clips!  Thanks to those who have sent them in.

9 comments:

cafe selavy said...

Wow! Thank goodness you are back.

Bob Crowley said...

We never left. It was just some internet nonsense.

cafe selavy said...

I'm in NYC Saturday to shoot the new 8x10 film at the Impossible headquarters. Have you seen this yet? Pos/Neg, they say.

GregRob said...

Is plastic an option? It seems to me the clip could be extruded which may make it cheaper for moderate quantities. But you need a supplier that knows the available materials to get the right properties.

And sorry no I have no idea who or where, I wish I did, I'm just tossing the idea over a fence.

Bob Crowley said...

Yes, we've had it here and today John will shoot some more this morning, I think. He and Nafis will be at that workshop so make sure you introduce yourself to them. Wish I could go but I have a camera show.

Bob Crowley said...

Plastic is an option and would requires some engineering. Credit card type plastic would be strong enough. Tooling always costs a lot of money.

Manuel Gomes Teixeira said...

Bob,

Why don't you try other countries to produce the clips?
Portugal, China.....?

Regards

Bob Crowley said...

You should see the crap clips I got from China

Unknown said...

I mentioned this on your FB page as well, but sometimes 3D printing can be more cost effective. I am more than willing to lend my 3D modeling skills to the cause (I have a degree in it!) and have been using Shapeways 3D printing service to create prototypes of my SX-70 Hood and Filter Holder:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickjclarke/8556119236/in/photostream