Thursday, November 24, 2011

8x10 Film Holder that doesn't have a light leak wanted

It must be just bad luck, but so far I have not purchased an 8x10 sheet film holder off ebay that doesn't have some sort of defect such as a light leak caused by bowing where the darkslide is inserted.  I'm using a very fast emulsion relative to what many people use (for a very interesting experiment) and trying to avoid as many defects up front as things progress.

Anyone know how to reshape a plastic film holder? I am tempted to glue tensioned steel rails on either side to counteract the bow.

Then I can get this rig operating. What you see is a Speed Graphic with its focal plane shutter grafted onto some 8x10 camera, all mounted on a Saltzman tripod. The shutter arrangement works just fine with all kinds of barrel lenses, even the Aero Ektar for close ups, which easily covers 8x10 when extended a bit.  The camera shown is notoriously wiggly, and so is the tripod head it is mounted upon. One would think this might be a rigid setup, but no it is not, as it oscillates quite wildly and in fact if one intended to design it to oscillate, this is a good way to accomplish it.  Nevertheless it is possible to get a sharp photograph by waiting for things to settle down. The focal plane shutter hardly jiggles the camera and is fine for short exposures. Longer exposures like 1/4 or greater are also possible with care.

6 comments:

phasmatis said...

New in box 8x10 holder on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-8x10-Land-Film-Holder-Model-81-05-NIB-New-Box-/140653373875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bf9829b3

Bob Crowley said...

Thanks for the lead. I'm looking for a regular sheet film holder, not the Polaroid. Maybe I should have made that clearer! Anyway I appreciate it, but I'm pretty much through buying these on ebay.

Anonymous said...

Hell, I´m waiting for so long for an alternative for 55. Go on and make it POSSIBLE!!
For myself I´m building a xxxl format Camera with 40 x 50 cm Negative size with an Rodenstock 60cm/9 Ronar witch nearly fills this size, and I tried to build single sheetholders for it, but I had same problems with putting the darkslide. Then I decided to build a kind of rollfilmholder like an oversized 6x9 holder with 4-6 papernegatives in a flightcase... still under consrtuction but easier to perform I think...

Brian Miller said...

AFAIK, all of my 8x10 holders are light tight, and all of them have a little bit of bow. This includes a new Toyo holder. I suppose I could test mine out in daylight with a strip of Ilford 3200 taped inside.

Have you tried using a wood holder?

Just what are you doing, what film are you using, and what ambient light conditions do you have? Also, could you post a picture of the problem?

Bob Crowley said...

Laura Allen sent over a holder. Thanks Laura!

Bob Crowley said...

Laura Allen sent us a holder.

I've rented equipment from EP Levine - they are right down the street. This was a call for a donation, and we got one.Thanks Laura! I

put out calls for things from time to time, when we need something, to take the temperature of the audience and gauge the willingness of it to contribute. That helps me get a sense of the potential market for New55 and how serious the actual demand is.