Thursday, April 8, 2010

Monochrome FP-100B is no slouch


Even without a decent negative to reclaim, the black and white packfilm made by Fuji labeled FP-100B and FP-100B45 are quite respectable. The original I have here is nearly luminous, not well represented on the screen or scanned, but with some work it might have been.

Click on the image and fill your screen.

The sharpness is fairly good as well, and you can easily tell it is sensitive to reds, and less so to blues by comparing it with the color digi in the adjacent post.

Speaking of negatives, unlike the Fuji FP-100C below and its fine negative, the FP-100B isn't really a negative at all! More like some weirdly toned half positive with colors and all kinds of things going on.  Look at this and see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I didn't realize this stuff was so smooth. What was the camera and lens?

Peter said...

Nice site. I like what you are doing!

Bob Crowley said...

Shot with the Speed Graphic, Xenotar 150mm f2.8 set at f16, and a 405 back. Overhead fluorescent lights same as seen in the digis in the adjacent post.

Philip said...

My first try with FP 100B neg looks like this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipgreene/4455728566/

The result was interesting but nothing like the original print. I still really like the FP 100B negs and have seen some interesting results on Flickr

I rescanned the above neg and got a much closer semblance to the print - not available at the moment

Bob Crowley said...

Philip

I don't see a negative from FP-100B - it looks part positive and part negative even if pulled in total darkness. All kinds of colors, reds adn greens in it too. What's your secret?

Philip said...

Hi Bob,

I mistakenly posted in two different places - one for color negs and here for BW negs. But the above image was processed with just a paper towel with bleach - rubbed off and rinsed in warm water -some levels adjustment in PS. Not sure what else I might have done knowingly or not. Since reading your technique I have skipped the rinsing and used window cleaner on the one side and got good results. Next I'll try the 20- 25 minute method you demonstrate with Fuji 100C