Tuesday, March 30, 2010

FP-3000 negative reclamation

Just for fun today I used my Polaroid 195 to document the state of the lab oven - covered in powder coating material, and a mess, really.  This image is taken from a reclaimed FP-3000b negative. I didn't think it could be done, but it can. The opaque base material is actually a rather good translucent diffuser, and using the now well-known blask mask removal technique, this through transmission scan of the grainy but very fast 3000 speed negative could be made.  Interesting enough, considering the minimal effort. The good news is that the new rangefinder I put on the F3.8 195 appears to be accurate - I focused on the knobs.  Wide open at 1/60th in the dim back lab near the loading dock.

10 comments:

Aaron Muderick said...

Usually I just scan it as a reflective. Do you think there is a benefit to doing it as a transparency?

Bob Crowley said...

Aaron,

I thought - erroneously I now believe - that Silverfast scanning would give me more dynamic range in the transparency mode. A lot of light does pass through the white backing. Obviously the dreary result above is not too encouraging! Reflective may be better! Not so with FP-100b. I plan to show something about that soon. 100b has the clear backing, and lots of interesting and weird things happen when it gets reclaimed.

Moopheus said...

By "well-known technique," do you mean you used the same process you describe for the FP100C?

Bob Crowley said...

Hi - yes that was kind of tongue-in-cheek, I was more thinking of how embarrassing it was to be posting this dreary image of my filthy lab stove to be looked at by the real photogs and should have been more specific.

Anonymous said...

i just stumbled on your blog and i am pretty glad i did!
i am a fine art artist and can't be any more grateful that there are guys like you out there-
don't shy from asking for help if need be in your development process because there are people ready to help- i for sure am one!

Bob Crowley said...

ok fine artist - come on over and work in the lab (unpaid) on this with me!

Anonymous said...

So the 3000b neg could be used in an enlarger?

Bob Crowley said...

In theory, yes, but you would need quite a bright light. Actually I think it would be easy to make it work as long as you do have a strong source, and can expose for a fairly long time.

James Myslinski said...

i honestly never thought to use it as a transparency until i reread your post. mine came out a bit solarized though, similar to fb-100b

James Myslinski said...

I scanned the negative both as a transparency and as reflective, i posted the reflective version on flickr here which I think looked better than the transparency. Not quite what I had expected.